Open Call to Artists: Close Waters
SU Art Galleries is pleased to announce a free open call for artwork of any medium on the theme of water. Water is a ubiquitous molecule that is at once romanticized, stylized, threatened, and feared. It takes many forms and holds an essential place in our lives. We seek artwork from regional* emerging artists that is connected to this fundamental substance and/or explores its role in our world. Each artist may submit up to five works of art on this theme.
Submissions will be juried by artist and professor Matthew Moore. Selected works will be exhibited as part of a group exhibition titled Close Waters at SU Art Galleries | Downtown alongside our major Fall exhibition On Water from September 6th to October 26th.
*We are defining regional artists by those who live and work within 150 miles of Salisbury, Maryland and emerging artists as artists who have not had a major solo exhibition at a museum or a commercial gallery.
General Information & Guidelines
- Use this google form to apply to the call and upload your images: https://forms.gle/tuKSNX7dnUeWSSCG8
- Provide the title, dimensions, medium and year of each piece in a numbered list in the Artwork Information field of the form. Example: 1. Frozen lake, 20×16 inches, oil on canvas, 2018.
- Please label each image file with your name and a number that corresponds to the list in the Artwork Information field. Example: 1_smith.jpg; 2_smith.jpg, etc.
- If you are uploading moving image work such as videos or animations, please provide a Vimeo or Youtube link in the Artwork Information field and upload a screenshot in the images section.
- Please upload your work by August 15that midnight EST.
- Selected artists will be announced on SU Galleries’ social media accounts and contacted via e-mail on August 26th.
- Selected artworks must arrive at the gallery by September 2nd.
- If you have any questions about your submission, please send an e-mail to email@example.com.
About the Juror
Matthew Moore is the Associate Professor of Photography and Chair of Visual Arts & Humanities at Anne Arundel Community College. He holds a BFA from the College for Creative Studies in Detroit, Michigan and an MFA from Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia. His images have been widely exhibited both nationally and internationally, including a recent solo exhibition at the Academy Art Museum and group exhibitions at Maryland Hall, Joshua Tree Art Gallery and Arlington Art Center, among others. He received the Maryland State Arts Council Individual Artist Award in 2015 and 2018.
Image: Matthew Moore, Laguna Beach, CA, 2013.