About Us and Our Mission
The mission of the Salisbury University Art Galleries and Collection is to enrich the cultural environment of Salisbury University, the city of Salisbury, and Maryland’s Eastern Shore by encouraging the appreciation and understanding of contemporary art and its role in society. Our purpose is to provide meaningful educational experiences and direct encounters with the visual arts not found anywhere else in the area. To sustain this mission we primarily offer exhibitions, performances, lectures, panel discussions, tours, and publications, as well as maintain the University Art Collection. Our programming is aimed at stimulating active learning about art and the creative process. In addition, building and maintaining the SU Art Collection serves as a tangible resource for teaching and research for this and future generations.
The goals of the SU Art Galleries and Collection are:
- To broaden the cultural vocabulary of the Salisbury University community and the residents of Maryland’s Eastern Shore in a way that encourages creative and thoughtful responses to a changing world;
- To engage our audience members through direct experiences with the visual arts and by augmenting those experiences with discussions, lectures, gallery guides, and other supporting events and materials;
- To present a well-researched and visually stimulating program of exhibitions, lectures, events, and publications that are in support of the academic offerings at Salisbury University and that make a distinctive contribution to the broader discourse and garner the respect and attention of regional and national audiences;
- To contribute to Salisbury University’s reputation as a “Maryland University of National Distinction” by developing educational activities that deepen the understanding of how galleries and collections work to produce meaning and advance knowledge;
- To support the University’s mission and purpose to teach, recruit and retain students by providing a platform for interdisciplinary thinking and research where ideas and practices can be explored and tested by students, scholars, professionals and the public;
- To maintain and develop the University Art Collection as an educational resource by improving accessibility to the objects and archives contained therein;
- To operate in a professional, cost-effective and financially sound manner; and
- To document the work of the gallery as an accessible resources for current and future scholars.
The SU Art Galleries is comprised of two on-campus galleries and two off-campus galleries. Each of our galleries has a specific mission and focus. To learn more about each space please follow the links below.
The Electronic Gallery is located on campus in the Teacher Education & Technology Center. This gallery is dedicated to new media art that emphasizes technology and new aesthetic forms.
The University Gallery is located on campus in Fulton Hall. This gallery is dedicated to bringing important national and international artists’ work to campus. This gallery also features our regular faculty and student exhibitions.
The Downtown Campus is located off campus at 212 West Main Street in the Gallery Building in downtown Salisbury. These galleries are dedicated to connecting the mission of the SU Art Galleries with the community.
The SU Art Galleries also maintains the University Art Collection which is comprised of over 1400 objects including sculpture, paintings, photographs, folk art objects, and prints.